Of special importance to us were the families of Robert and Delilah Holmes [Generation 6] who came from the parish of Killygordon in the county of Donegal and Thomas McIlroy who came from Ballymoney in the county of Antrim. Both families immigrated to America in the early 1830s. James McIlroy, the first of the family to arrive in Tariffville, changed the name McIlroy to McRoy. Legend says that there were two James McIlroys in the Simsbury area and straws were drawn to see who kept his original name. Apparently our family lost. I do not know how many family members originally worked in the mills but apparently the only two to remain in the carpet business for an extended period of time were Robert Holmes Sr. and his son James. Robert worked as a carpetman his entire life in Connecticut. At the age of 77 he still called himself a carpet man. James Holmes worked in this trade until the late 1850s when he purchased a small farm in East Granby, Connecticut. He remained a farmer the rest of his life.
There have been several stories handed down concerning these mills. On such story relates to how Tariffville got its name. Apparently the woolen carpet mills were constantly pressuring Congress to impose import duties on woolen goods to protect the domestic markets. This became such a nuisance to Congress that these men were called the men from Tariffville.
As the prosperity of the mills grew and the number of employees increased many markets for other products also flourished. One such market was for farm produce. Farmers would fill their wagons with potatoes, corn and other vegetables and fruit and drive to the carpet mills where they would sell them to workers on their way home from the factory.
Unfortunately times change and Tariffville’s prosperous identity with carpet production came to an end with a disastrous fire on June 10, 1867. Many of the factory buildings were destroyed along with a portion of the town. The Hartford Carpet Company promptly sold its Tariffville property to the Connecticut Screw Company. The Screw Company erected buildings and brought in new machinery. However this company failed before it could recover the large expenditure of money it spent equipping the plant. In 1881 the property was purchased by the Auer Silk Company with a capital investment of $200,000. The company planned to manufacture dress goods, tapestries, upholstery products and curtains etc. The name was then changed to the Hartford Silk Company. The dam across the Farmington River was rebuilt, new buildings erected and a sizable amount of modern machinery purchased. Hundreds of employees were hired to work in the plant. Just when the company achieved a prosperous position and the future looked promising, the superintendent of the company absconded with the company’s funds and fled to Canada. Later another company tried to make silk thread but it also failed. The town of Tariffville went the way of the mills and dwindled in size until the town of Simsbury exceeded it in population.
The members of the Holmes and McRoy families became farmers. Some left the area and made their homes as far away as Almont, Michigan.
September 22, 1992
Revised October 11, 2002

No comments:
Post a Comment